Friday, August 15, 2014

Inspiration from the Genie, Himself

So, as I was executing my nightly Facebook creeping routine (don't judge, I know you do it, too) and I came across a quote that really made me think, said by a man that genuinely inspired people... "You must strive to find your own voice, because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all"- 'Dead Poets Society'. I read this quote in the wake of the tragic death of Robin Williams, and though I did not set out to memorialize William's passing, here I am, finding inspiration within the depths of this tragedy. 

     Though this quote is not blatantly about inspiration, it inspired me to write about the subject, as it is something that I sometimes struggle with. It is my dream to inspire others, but I have the tendency to get very shy and stifle myself. I guess I still don't believe that I deserve the life I want. But, quotes like these, from men like Williams, remind me that there is no reason to be afraid. If he can find his voice, so can I. For even in the depths of depression and addiction, Robin Williams still inspired people. He busted our guts with his comedy. He brought us to tears with his emotion. He brightened the world. Even though there is a little less laughter now that he has passed, his inspiration remains. It is quotes like these that push me, after I have finished creeping, to challenge myself to find my voice and inspire others. Music happens to be my vessel for inspiration, but everyone is different; everyone has different talents. Go use yours, whatever they may be, find out who you are and set out to inspire.

      Be conscious and compassionate of what is around you. Keep up with the lives of the people you care about and always aim to be the person others can come to when they are lacking in inspiration. You'd be surprised how a simple verse can inspire and shed light into someone's darkest hour. 



Try to start to fill the void that Robin Williams' passing has left, and start now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment